Saturday, August 29, 2009

It’s a SCOOTER…it’s a Car….no it’s a bus!?!

I’m sure anyone who has been reading our blog has wondered “why isn’t Phil bloggin, after all he’s in Taiwan too”. Well here is my first blog entry.

I suppose I haven’t made an entry because I was busy trying all the new and wonderful foods here. :) I think Annalicia has been doing a great job of bloggin’ and keeping everyone up to date. Her writing style is very good and she does a nice job of explaining things. With that being said, I think it’s time for her to be quiet and let you hear from someone else. :)

This past weekend we decided not to get a car to meet my transportation needs and instead I will bike 10 minutes to the bus stop, ride 40 minutes on an old rickety bus, and then end my commute by walking an additional 10 minutes. I have a weird feeling that if “someone” else were commuting we would not have considered a bus. :) When I envisioned commuting in Taiwan I pictured myself cruising around on a sweet scooter. I have to admit I was really looking forward to getting a scooter here, but if the locals thought it would be better to get a car I was okay with that. Now, when the car didn’t work out and I was told I could take the bus to and from school, I was scared because I don’t possess any Chinese speaking or reading skills. Without those two important skills I could get lost pretty easily and would have a bummer of a time trying to get home. But I have taken the bus this whole week and I can say that it’s not that bad and it is probably more relaxing than driving myself. Plus it should help us save a little more money and that’s always a good thing. It also immerses me in the culture a little more, which is something I don’t know I would have done voluntarily.

Couple of other things to inform you of:

My co-teachers' English names are Bo-Bo and Ro-Ro. With those names it’s hard for me to take them serious.

I have been given a Chinese name; Fe Li Pu, pronounced Fay Lee Poo. It’s basically my name sounded out in Chinese words. I’m not too pumped on it.

I now have my own personal stamp with my Chinese name on it. It’s kind of a big deal, I guess.

We enjoy hearing from everyone, through responds to our posts or Skype, and miss everyone a ton.

Take Care,
Phil

3 comments:

  1. Great job on your first blog Fe Li Pu!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phil-
    You did an excellent job on your very first blog entry. Noah and I laughed pretty much the entire time we read it. We are looking forward to reading more in the future.

    Noah was wondering, was it the Fay Lee or Poo part of your name that you were not too pumped about?

    We miss you both!

    ReplyDelete