Friday, February 12, 2010

SUPER BOWL MONDAY

Being 14 hours ahead of U.S. Central Time I (Phil) was unable to watch the Super Bowl live. I decided my next best option was to buy a Super Bowl package from iTunes. It included highlights from the Pro Bowl, the Super Bowl in its entirety, and Super Bowl highlights. So, instead of Super Bowl Sunday I decided to have Super Bowl Monday Night. It’s not as catchy, but it was the earliest I could watch the game.

.

In order to keep the experience authentic I avoided anything that could’ve possibly told me who won. In an attempt to support my mission, Annalicia also avoided seeing the results of the game so that she couldn’t possibly give it away. For me this meant no looking at ESPN.com, Facebook, or other web-surfing at school on Monday. For her it meant just another regular day. :) It was a lot harder than I thought it would be to stay off of ESPN.com, but I did it (and was very productive I might add...possible life lesson).


As soon as I got home from school I checked to see if the game was ready to be downloaded, but only the highlights were available. I went for a half hour run, came back and checked to see if it was available yet. Not yet. I ran some errands and got a few snacks (mainly American Doritos) and came back. The game was still not available to be downloaded. While I was gone Annalicia did her best to help create an authentic Super Bowl party atmosphere by preparing a bunch of “cute snackies” (her words, not mine).




I must’ve misread the description of the Super Bowl package I purchased because the entire game was never available to download. I was a little bummed, but Annalicia said we could try finding it somewhere else. The only problem with that idea was that then we would know who won because any website related to the Super Bowl was going to have the score posted as big as possible. Well, we determined that Annalicia would try and find something because she was not as invested in the authentic Super Bowl experience as I was. It didn’t really matter because we couldn’t find any site that we could download the game from.


My attempt to make the Super Bowl experience authentic failed. We watched the 10 minutes of highlights, with Annalicia already knowing who won (it bugged me more than it should have) and 10 minutes of post-game celebrations while eating our “cute snackies”. I hope I don’t sound like I’m complaining because after all I did just have a “Super Bowl Party” in Taiwan, it was just completely different than what I was used to.


Note: Tuesday at 1:43 pm iTunes sent me an email telling me that “the Super Bowl in its entirety is available to be downloaded”…great, thanks iTunes! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment