Friday, March 26, 2010

MY RING!

Last Thursday I (Phil) decided to play baseball with some students after school. I borrowed a boy’s glove and played a rousing round of catch. So much so that when I took my glove off my wedding ring came off with it. I didn’t notice my ring was missing until I was on the bus home, too late to go look for it. I suppose I could’ve asked the bus driver to pull over because I needed to go and look for my wedding ring, but I figured that would have been pretty hard to communicate.

So, on Friday I had a class during first hour and towards the end of class I told my co-teacher to tell the students that I lost my wedding ring outside somewhere around the track. My students were very concerned right away. They all let out a collective, “Oh my God!!” After they all settled down and adjusted to the fact that I lost my ring I asked them if they could help me look for it if they had time. As the bell rang, all of my students rushed out of the classroom and onto the track. A couple of students gathered around me and started asking questions like; “You need your ring to stay with your wife?” and “Your wife will be so ANGRY?!” I responded yes to both of them because I didn’t feel like explaining that I could just by a new ring if I wanted to and either way I could stay married to “Anna”.

When I was done talking with those students I looked around and realized that more students were recruited to help me find my ring and save my marriage. There were 50-60 students combing through grass and dirt desperately trying to help me keep my wife. It was amazing to see all of these students so worried and eager to help even though my ring held very little meaning to them personally.

As the break time was coming to a close, a student (that I played catch with the previous day) found my ring on a set of stairs. I offered to buy him a bubble tea, thanked him for finding my ring, and assured all of my students that my wife would not leave me now.

1 comment:

  1. That's an awesome story, Phil. Thanks for sharing. You're a gifted writer.

    ReplyDelete